Last Updated: November 5, 2020
This program is now closed. Please see Safe Harbor for assistance.
Housing Help RI is a statewide initiative to assist Rhode Islanders who are experiencing housing insecurity. The program provides emergency housing assistance to low-income renters who have been impacted by the COVID-19 emergency and are at immediate risk of homelessness.
To qualify for assistance through Housing Help RI, households must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Reside in Rhode Island for at least one year;
- Demonstrate a loss of income due to the COVID-19 emergency;
- Earn at or below 80% of Area Median Income, based upon geographic area and family size, prior to the recent loss of income; and
- Lack alternate resources to avoid housing instability and homelessness.
A household must demonstrate the financial capacity to sustain housing following the award of program funds. Only one adult individual residing in a household may apply for assistance on behalf of the household.
Households may receive a grant of up to $5,000 to use for any combination of the following eligible housing expenditures:
- Past due rent payments;
- Late fees on a rental account;
- Rental assistance for the month ahead; or
- Moving costs associated with relocation.
Payment will be made directly to third-party entities such as a landlord, property manager, or moving company.
How to Apply:
Interested residents should fill out the online screening tool below to confirm their eligibility and start the application process.
If program funds are exhausted, eligible applicants will be added to a wait list and notified when additional funds becomes available.
Note: Housing Help RI has temporarily closed to new applications while we catch up with existing requests. Please check back later to see if applications have re-opened.